Welcome! We catechists are pleased to have responded to the call of Our Lady of Rosary Catholic Church, Doha, Qatar to serve as catechist. As volunteers in the parish catechetical program, catechists assume great responsibility in echoing God’s Word to children of all ages and nationality. We catechize very closely with parents and family in nurturing the growth of faith in their children, just as Our Blessed Mother and Saint Joseph were, with the Child Jesus; and with the Priests and Religious, the Ecclesiastical Catechists, and together we make a united Christian Family.
WHAT IS CATECHESIS?
“Go, therefore make disciples of all nations; baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always until the end of the age.” (Mt 28:19-20)
The Catholic Church has issued many documents that describe the Ministry of Catechesis. We follow the CCC (The Catechism of the Catholic Church) which provides a framework for the Ministry of Catechesis for dioceses and parishes in Doha and around the world.
The Ministry of Catechesis must first be seen in the light of the mission that Jesus gave to the Apostles after His Resurrection. Catechesis is an indispensable action of the Church. Every means that the Church employs in her overall mission to go and make disciples has a catechetical aspect. The word catechesis comes from a Greek word meaning ECHO.
The act of handing on the Word of God intended to inform the faith community and candidates for initiation into the Church about the teachings of Christ, transmitted by the Apostles to the Church. It also involves the lifelong effort of forming people into witnesses to Christ and opening their hearts to the spiritual transformation given by the Holy Spirit.
The Catechism of the Catholic Church (CCC) describes catechesis in the following way:
· Catechesis aims at putting people…in communion…with Jesus Christ: only He can lead us to the love of the Father in the Spirit and make us share in the life of the Holy Trinity. (ref:CCC 426 citing CT5)
· In catechesis ‘Christ, the Incarnate Word and Son of God,…is taught – everything else is taught with reference to Him – and it is Christ alone who teaches …. Every catechist: “My teaching is not mine, but His who sent me.” (ref:CCC427 citing CT6: Jn 7:16)
In addition, the Catechism Formation serves as a point of reference for catechesis for all age groups …. Maturity of faith is the intent of all catechesis. Thus, all catechesis is geared to a lifelong deepening of faith in Christ.
The catechetical teaching is intended to make the faith, as illumined by teaching, children the Sacred Scripture, the liturgy, the Apostolic Tradition and the Church’s Magisterium.
Therefore, the primary purpose of catechesis is to help the person fall in love with Christ and His message, continue growing in knowledge and understanding of the faith and be a committed disciple of Christ.
RESPONSIBILTY OF CATECHESIS
“Do not be afraid! Be proud of your faith! Know your faith. Live your faith. Love your faith.” Pope John Paul ll
Jesus formed his disciples by making known to them the various dimensions of the Kingdom of God. He instructed his disciples, He prayed with them, He showed them how to live, and He gave them His mission. His example is the most fruitful inspiration for effective catechesis today because it is integral to formation in the Christian faith.
Faith must be known, celebrated, lived, and expressed in prayer. Catechesis comprises six fundamental tasks, each of which is related to an aspect of faith in Christ. All efforts in catechesis should incorporate these responsibilities:
· Catechesis promotes knowledge of the faith
· Catechesis promotes knowledge of the meaning of the Liturgy and the Sacraments.
· Catechesis support parents in their role as primary catechists of their children.
· Catechesis offer sacramental preparation for children and youth as they become ready to celebrate the sacraments of Baptism, Reconciliation, Eucharist and Confirmation.
· Catechesis promotes moral formation in Jesus Christ.
· Catechesis teaches the children how to pray with Christ.
· Catechesis prepares the children to live in community and to participate actively in the life and mission of the Church.
· Catechesis promotes a missionary spirit that prepares the faithful to be present as Christians in society.
All these tasks are necessary in order to attain the full development of the Christian faith. “Christ invites all catechists to follow Him as a teacher of the faith and a witness to the truth of the faith.”.
The work of catechists involves their whole being. Before they preach the word, they must make it their own and live by it. What catechists teach should not be a purely human science or the sum of their personal opinions but the Church’s faith, which is the same throughout the world, which they themselves live and whose witnesses they are. Am I called by God to the ministry of catechesis?
Summary - Catechism Ministry of Our Lady of the Rosary Church
The Catechism year in our new Parish began in 2008-2009, in the new (and more) classrooms in the Bishop Gremoli Building, we have our own Chapel, Alverna Chapel located within the Bishop Gremoli Building for Masses and other religious activities. We have junior and senior choir who sing for the respective catechism masses. We conduct Seminars, Reflections, Retreats, Bible Studies for the Youth Groups, overnight camping by the Arabic Group, and Summer Camp for the Catechumens, among others.
There are always opportunities for our own (Catechists) spiritual growth and development – the annual Christian Formation Conference each year, Leadership Training and participation in the Vicariate’s Seminar, held in Doha, just to mention a few.
Catechism for the different Communities is held as follows:
· The Arabic Community
have their Catechism classes every Thursday evenings from 6:00 PM onwards.
· The International Group (English speaking)
conducts Catechism classes every Fridays from 10:00 AM to 12:15 PM and Saturdays 9:00 AM to 11:15 AM.
· The Filipino Community
conducts Catechism for their children every Fridays from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM and followed by Children's Mass from. 4:15 p.m. to 5:15 p.m.
· This year the Spanish Community joined the Catechism family, and have their Catechism every Saturday mornings along with the French Community
and the drive for the concept of One Lord, One Faith, One Community of Christ’s Children, will continue to be our prayer – and goal.
· The Italian Community
have their Catechism classes every Saturdays at 4:30 PM.
· Our Outstation Communities are Al Khor and Dukhan.
The “Dukhanites” have their Catechism every Sunday in individual Catechist’s homes while
Al Khor Community conducts the Catechism classes every Thursday evening in respective Catechists' homes.
Join Us … if you are a Catechist out there, or have the will and/or the desire to become one …